Parish of the church of the assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Rabun village

Churches of the deanery of Dolginovo

Address: Yubileynaya street/3, Rabun village, Vileysky district, Minsk region.

Rector: The parish is under the pastoral care of Priest Valentin Peshko, rector of the church of the Holy Spirit in the Rechki village (tel.: +375-29-7614013).

The first known church in the Rabun estate was built in 1646 at the expense of the Vilna Monastery – this is the wooden Uniate Holy Dormition church. The paraphy of the Rabun church consisted of the inhabitants of the estate itself and the peasants of the surrounding villages of Sloboda, Serfs, Kochenki, Nesterki, Klovsi, Nivki, Vygolovichi, Ugli, Tsintsevichi, Barovets. Then a wooden chapel was built on the churchyard on the territory of churchyard cemetery.
In 1862, at the expense of the treasury, the Holy Dormition church was raised in Rabun village. It is made in the retrospective Russian style (narthex, prayer hall, pentagonal apse), but with a characteristic feature of Belarussian religious buildings: the walls are lined with rubble stone, the seams are filled with mosaic small stone chips.
Since 1800, the Rabun estate belongs to Prince Alexander Sapieha, the Chancellor of the INCL; there are 41 households and 307 people.

In 1841, the Rabun village came into the possession of the royal treasury. The elder of the village community is Yuri Silivanovich from the Tsintsevichi village, the father of the famous artist Nikodim Silivanovich, the author of mosaics of St. Isaac’s Cathedral of St. Petersburg.
In 1886, Rabun was the center of the parish, where there are 51 courtyards and 542 inhabitants. There is an Orthodox church, a chapel, a parish council, a public school, a watermill and a drinking house in the village.
On the eve of the First World War, an engineer came to the Rabun church to develop a project to increase the building: the number of parishioners was increasing, and the small church could not accommodate everyone. Even though another church was built in the neighboring village of Kosuta in 1868. However, the war changed all the plans that were never implemented.
During the Second World War, the church continued to fulfill its function and did not close for a single day. The rector of the Holy Dormition Church, Archpriest Vladimir selflessly helped the partisans, for which he was captured by the Germans and shot together with his daughter.
In the late 1950s, it was decided to close the church. The first attempt to do this failed, the locals closed inside and defended the church. But in 1960, the church was still closed, the bells were taken away for melting, some of the utensils were thrown away, and the rest was taken to a nearby church in Kasuta village.
When the church in Rabun was closed it was first converted into a school gym, and then into a flour warehouse. A volleyball court was set up near the church itself, and the rubble fence and bell tower were dismantled, the dome with the cross was torn off. Other church buildings also lost their purpose. Thus, the wooden priest’s house,which was built in 1908, was converted into a school after the war. The neighboring building of the same type – the house of psalmists – after the closure of the church was turned into a dormitory for young teachers and in 2014 these buildings were dismantled.
In 1990, the church was returned to the faithful and opened for the worship. All the church utensils were returned from the caste to Rabun. Including the ancient icon of the Mother of God of the late 17th century.

Поделиться в социальных сетях